While working on QuickBooks, it is common for users to face issues and errors. QuickBooks 15240 is one such error that occurs when users try to download updates for their payroll or QuickBooks Desktop.
The system shows Error 15240: Payroll can’t update and troubles users a lot. In this article, we’ll explore everything related to QuickBooks Error code 15240. From the factors that invoke this error to the methods to resolve this error. Let’s begin.
What Causes The QuickBooks Error 15240?
While operating QuickBooks when users proceed to download the payroll or software updates users get the QuickBooks Error 15240 message on their system due to the following factors:
1: No Administrative Rights – In order to make system changes effective, admin rights are very crucial and if you’ve no access to Admin rights then you’re likely to face the QuickBooks update error 15240 on your system.
2: Misconfiguration In Date and Time – QuickBooks is a paid software that requires proper time and date configuration. A misconfiguration in it will lead to QB 15240 error.
3: Improper Windows Firewall Configuration – Windows Firewall helps the system remain free from malware and threats. However, in case it’s misconfigured, it will manifest the QuickBooks 15240 Error.
4: Having Multiple QuickBooks Installed – In case you install multiple QuickBooks on your system, it will cause the software to malfunction and prevent it from updating payroll or software. Hence, results in QuickBooks Error 15240.
5: Defective QuickBooks Components – QuickBooks components can become corrupt due to various reasons and as a result, QuickBooks refuses to update the payroll and software.
6: Strict UAC – UAC stands for “User-Account-Control” and its function is to stop any suspected programs from functioning properly. Therefore, if it is set on High, it can cause the error 15240 on QuickBooks.
7: Corrupt QuickBooks Installation – Your QuickBooks software may get corrupt if your system faces malware or any other technical glitch resulting in a payroll can’t update error.
8: Expired Payroll Subscription – It is crucial to ensure that your payroll subscription is not expired as it causes the payroll to not update and hence causing the QuickBooks Error 15240.
Best Proven Methods For QuickBooks Error Code 15240
Upon discovering the factors that invoke QuickBooks Error 15240 while updating the payroll, let’s move to the proven methods that can easily resolve the QuickBooks Error Code 15240.
Method 1: Launch QuickBooks With Administrative Privileges
The first and most commonly used method for resolving QuickBooks error code 15240 is to launch QuickBooks. Here’s how:
- First, exit your QuickBooks.
- Then, locate “QuickBooks.exe”.
- Next, right-tap it.
- Now, choose to “Run QuickBooks As Administrator”.
- Finally, give permission using “Yes”.
Now try updating payroll and if you encounter the QB 15240 error, follow next.
Method 2: Adjust Your System’s Date & Time
In order to utilize QuickBooks for payroll updates, the time and date on the system should be correct. You are required to verify the system’s date & time and thereafter modify it accordingly. Here’s how:
- First, right-tap the date/time icon on the right side of your Windows screen.
- Thereafter, tap “Change the Date-Time”.
- Afterward, unmark the tab “Set-Time-Automatically”.
- Then, adjust your system’s time and data accurately.
- Now, select “Set-Time-Automatically” and ensure the Date & Time.
- Finally, “Save” the recent changes and visit Desktop.
Now, quickly do a system restart and verify for QuickBooks error code 15240. If it appears, then your IE setting is at fault. Proceed Next.
Method 3: Internet Explorer Configurations
The QuickBooks Error 15240 can be repaired if users configure their Internet Explorer appropriately. Here’s how:
- Start with launching “Internet Explorer”.
- Thereafter, visit “Tools” and select “Internet”.
- Next, choose “Advanced” and mark the following:
- – “SSL2.0” and “SSL3.0”
- Finally, click “OK”.
Upon configuring the Internet Explorer also configure your firewall by performing the next method.
Method 4: Firewall Configuration
Firewall misconfiguration prevents QuickBooks from updating the payroll and the software itself. Hence, you must complete the below-stated steps to fix QuickBooks Error 15240.
- Begin with clicking on “Start-Menu” and launching the “Control Panel”.
- Next, launch “Windows Firewall”. Then open “Advanced-Settings”.
- Thereafter, select “Inbound-Rules” and create “New-Rule.
- Now, select “QuickBooks” and tap “Next”.
- After that, choose “Program Path” and give access to the following:
- – qbw32.exe and Qbupdate.exe
- Then, “Allow-Connection” and select “Next”.
- Finally, name the rule and choose “Finish”.
Now your firewall is configured appropriately and you should check for any secondary QB installation.
Method 5: Verify And Remove Any Duplicate QuickBooks Installation
As discussed earlier that a duplicate installation of QuickBooks results in QuickBooks Error 15240 issue. Hence, it is a must that users first verify and then remove any existing QuickBooks from their system. Here’s how:
- First, hold “Windows” and “R”.
- Next, input “Control Panel”.
- Then, select “Uninstall-Program”.
- Now, look for any duplicate QB installation.
- Finally, if installed then select it and tap “Uninstall”.
Method 6: Update QuickBooks
Upon implementing the above methods, try updating your QuickBooks using the below-listed instructions:
- First, give “QuickBooks” administrative privileges and launch it.
- Then, go to “Help” and check whether a “No-Company-Open” window displays.
- Next, choose “Update-QuickBooks” and then click “Mark-All”.
- Now, “Save” changes and perform “Update-Now”.
- Finally, click “Get-Updates” and the system will install QuickBooks updates.
If you face difficulty in updating the QuickBooks or still face the QuickBooks error code 15240 then you need to use the Clean Install tool. Check next.
Method 7: Use QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
In case the above methods fail to resolve the QuickBooks Error code 15240 from your system. Your QuickBooks program is at fault and hence requires a complete reinstallation.
You need to get the QuickBooks Tool Hub program on your system for a clean install of QuickBooks. Follow these steps:
- First, visit “Control Panel” and launch “Programs & Features”.
- Thereafter, Locate and tap “QuickBooks”.
- Next, select “Uninstall” and “Yes”.
- Now, click “Remove” and then proceed with “Next”.
- Finally, when the uninstallation process is done, tap “Finish”.
Note: Now that the QuickBooks is uninstalled from your system, run the clean install tool. Here’s how:
- First, browse Intuit’s website and download “QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Then, launch the tool setup and read its license agreement.
- Next, finish its installation and run “QuickBooksToolHub”.
- Now, from the dashboard, reach “Installation Issues”.
- Finally, use the “Clean Install Tool” and select your QB version.
Now after performing QuickBooks clean install, reinstall your QuickBooks appropriately and check for the error.
Method 8: Perform System Restore
If the QuickBooks Error Code 15240 occurs even after applying the above methods, you should restore your system by following these:
- Primarily, click on “Start” and type “System Restore”.
- Thereafter, hit “Enter’ and open it.
- Next, input credentials such as admin user id or password.
- Now, pay attention to the on-screen instructions and follow them.
- Then, choose a “Restore-Point” accordingly.
- Finally, launch QuickBooks after restarting your system.
Method 9: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostics Tool
The final method for resolving the troublesome QuickBooks 15240 Error is to run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostics Tool. This tool can help repair installation issues with your QuickBooks and will allow you to fix payroll can’t update errors.
Make sure to download QuickBooks Tool Hub first and thereafter perform the following steps:
- First, sign in to your system with admin privileges.
- Thereafter, launch “QuickBooksToolHub.exe”.
- Then, proceed to “Installation Issues”.
- Finally, activate “QuickBooks-Install-Diagnostic-Tool”.
Now, remember that your system may require 10 or 15 minutes based on your system performance to complete the scanning. You must invoke a system reboot after the scanning and the QuickBooks update error 15240 will go away.
The QuickBooks 15240 error, causes users to experience difficulties in updating their payroll and software. However, the above-mentioned methods are capable of resolving this error effectively.
The data we provide to you is thoroughly researched and the methods offered to you are tested for accuracy.